Gerringong's Historical Time Line

Please note a new booklet on this subject, with illustrations,

is available for sale at the Museum for $5.00.

(See Items for Sale page.)

 

Date   
  Event
 

1812

 First recorded cedar cut in Gerringong

1824

 Governor Brisbane instructs that 600 acres be reserved for a town at the present Gerringong township

1825

 William Smith secures the first land grant in Gerringong - 600 acres at Omega (Renfrew Park).
 Capt. Thomas Campbell secures a land grant of 1280 acres which he later sold to his brother-in-law James  Mackay Grey, who named it Omega Retreat.

1827

 Michael Hindmarsh secures a land grant of 640 acres. He became the first settler to live and work on a  grant in Gerringong.

1829

 Gerringong is gazetted as a postal town.

1835

 Robert Miller secures 600 acres, naming the property "Renfrew Park" after his Scottish home. The present  house was built in 1866.

1849

 New road cleared from Kiama to Gerringong.

1850

 Gerringong Wesleyan Chapel (later Methodist, then Uniting Church), is built in Fern St.

1851

 Alne Bank home (off Sims Road) is built for Michael Hindmarsh.

1854

 A town plan for Gerringong is approved, and on January 17, 1854, the Governor of NSW proclaims the site  the "Village of Gerringong".

1854

  Weatherboard Presbyterian Church built.

1855

 First town lots sold - opposite today's Catholic Church.

1856

 St Georges Church of England is built in Fern St. The original church was destroyed in 1872, and was  rebuilt in 1874.

1857

 First post office opens and "Gerringong" becomes the official spelling of the township.
 Stonewall builder Thomas Newing arrives and begins work on the many historic walls that divide local  farms.

1859

 Kiama Municipality is proclaimed, incorporating Kiama, Gerringong and Jamberoo. Gerringong folk are not  happy about their inclusion and immediately campaign for independence.

1860

 Omega National School is built (closed in 1941, now a private residence). Rose Valley School follows in  1868.

1870 

 First Methodist Church built, replacing the original wattle and daub Chapel. It now operates as Chittick  Lodge.

1871

 Jubilation for Gerringong residents when the township wins its independence from Kiama Municipality,  being incorporated as the Gerringong Municipal District on April 24.

1872

 Devastation as a fire razes much of Gerringong business area together with homes and the C of E church.

1875

 To overcome their shipping problems, farmers unite to buy their own vessels such as "The Dairymaid".

1876

 Gerringong Public School is opened with 60 pupils.

1882

 Gerringong Police Station opens in Fern Street (now a private residence).
 St Mary's Star of the Sea Catholic Church is built.

1883

 School of Arts hall (today's Scout & Guide Hall) is built.

1884

 Gerringong Congregational Church is opened.
 A jetty is built at Boatharbour greatly assisting the transport of local produce. The first steam boat arrived  1890.

1888

 Gerringong Butter Factory (Dairy Co-Op) established.

1891

 A great storm smashes the jetty at Boatharbour to pieces.

1893

 South Coast railway line is extended to Gerringong, signalling a start of the end of shipping.

1911

 Gentlemen's Baths constructed at Boatharbour. By 1942 it had fallen into disrepair. Remnants can be  seen  south of the present boat ramp.

1913

 Telephone comes to Gerringong.

1914

 Gerringong Surf Club is formed.

1921

 The RSL Soldiers Memorial Hall is built.

1928

 Electricity comes to Gerringong.

1933

 Sir Charles Kingsford Smith undertakes his historic flight from Seven Mile Beach to New Zealand.

1936

 Sportsground Pavilion built.

1936

 Tidal swimming pool at South Werri constructed (Ourie Baths)

1948

 Gerringong Town Hall officially opened.

1966

 New post office built (closed 1997).

1971

 Town water supply connected.

1994

 New Gerringong Public School opens in Archibald Street.

1998

 Gerringong sewerage system announced.  Contract signed in 2001 and first connections functioning by  2003.

2004

 Sesquicentenary celebrations (1854-2004) and official opening of newly landscaped "Old School Park".

 

© This Article is Copyright: Gerringong and District Historical Society - 2014

 

  • c-facebook