Gerringong Heritage Museum opened on December 1, 2021, in the refurbished School of Arts, built by the Gerringong community in 1883. The School of Arts building is a site of great significance for the Gerringong district, holding memories of meetings, weddings, live concerts, celebratory dances, Girl Guide and Boy Scout meetings and was also the place of overnight accommodation for the Waratah Marchers in WWI. It served as Gerringong Community Hall until the current Town Hall was opened in 1948.
Admission is free. Donations are welcome.
Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
THE STORY OF GERRINGONG
During the building of GLaM, curator Sandra McEwen was employed to survey the collection and select objects and images to tell the Story of Gerringong. This exhibition is a permanent exhibition in the School of Arts. Extensions of the GDHS collection and special exhibitions are held in the GLaM Gallery adjacent to the Museum.
The former Museum building was constructed by the local community on the site of the new Gerringong Library and opened in 1991. It closed at the end of 2017, and the building was deconstructed and moved to the western side of the Michael Cronin Oval to become part of the Men’s Shed complex.
The Old Gerringong Museum, with President Margaret Sharpe. Video courtesy of Kiama Municipal Council.
The Gerringong Heritage Museum welcomes group visits, school visits and tourist visits outside the hours that we are open.
If you would like a guided tour please book at least two weeks ahead.
The Museum is open on a Friday - Saturday, from 11am - 3pm.
$5 guided museum tour per person.
$2 per student.
To make a booking please email: email@example.com